Friday, December 7, 2007

YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP



Today America remembers Dec. 7, 1941 - "A day which will live in infamy"--or not. Right in Bay Ridge has a wonderful post about the day and "the cost of forgotten infamy".

For myself, this day also marks my own personal battleship being sunk -- today is my wedding anniversary. Five years ago, our families, friends, Elvis and two hot showgirls gathered in Las Vegas to celebrate the union between my wife and myself.


A sea of zebra and leopard skinned yarmulkes greeted us outside the Viva Las Vegas Wedding Chapel. Inside, the aforementioned Elvis and hot showgirls, performed the ceremony, which included three songs from The King.

After the tearful ceremony, we were whisked back to our penthouse suite at the Bellagio for a champagne and cake reception. Then it was off to the quintessential Vegas show, Jubilee! The cheese factor is mighty high in Jubilee. It must be seen to be believed.

After a week in Vegas we boarded a plane and spent a week in Paris.

So today, please take time to remember what happened on this date in 1941, and then pause to reflect upon how on this date my bachelorhood and the ability to make my own decisions was sunk.

No comments: